8 Apr 2011

G is for Gardens.



Few things help me relax and come to my senses like spending time in a beautiful garden.

A few weeks ago, I discovered Michael Trapp's garden designs and I knew what my letter 'G' would be.

Since seeing those first pictures, I've been in love with the magic of his designs. Some of them remind me of ancient Italian villas, others hint of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, with a sprinkle of the controlled madness of Alice in Wonderland.

Michael Trapp's style is quite unique. As a collector, an antiques dealer and traveller, he is a master at combining unusual objects and dramatic ornaments from different cultures, eras and styles.

He incorporates them to create environments that feel out of this world: dreamy and enchanting, shelters where time cannot track you.


Have a look at the photographs of his interior and landscape designs on his website at http://www.michaeltrapp.com/ (under 'projects'), and check out the pictures of his garden pavillion: it's the perfect writer's retreat!



--------
All images are © Erik Owen and are used with permission.
♥ Bookmark or share this post ♥

11 comments:

  1. G is for gorgeous. The Secret Garden and Alice in Wonderland combined is a great description. Whimsey and old world charm.

    Fortunately the weather is supposed to be beautiful here this weekend as I've got some trees to plant. Good G post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reflecting pool in the second to last photo.....so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos! I wish we had the weather here to be out in my gardens, but it's raining, raining, raining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with L.G. Smith - G is for gorgeous!

    I love gardens and I would love to take that garden and put it under a dome so I could live in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love gardens. We moved into a new house just two months ago, and it's been fun discovering the flowers starting to bloom in the backyard. It lifts my spirits and calms my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @L.G.: Planting trees, I like it :-) Good luck with the weather this weekend! :-)

    @Keena: I love them too. And there are so many more on his website.

    @mybabyjohn: I so agree. I could picture myself sitting there for hours!

    @anne: beautiful, thanks :-)

    @Kris: Ah, here it's great: warm spring weather at the moment. It probably won't last, but I'm definitely enjoying it now :-)

    @C R: And then we could shake the dome and see plastic snowflakes fluttering down around you :-)

    @Shelli: Me too. The past few weeks our garden's come to life. I can almost see everything grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are some really awesome garden pictures! G is also for Glad to be following you from the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it looks like any part of that garden would be perfect for writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful! I'd love to have a garden like that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jeffrey Beesler: thanks! Great trip down memory lane, your G and H. :-)

    @ Misha & Sarah: I so agree. Since I discovered his designs, I've been staring at our own garden, thinking, 'Hm ...'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...